Last week, Identity Force released the results of its 2010 survey of 200 compliance offers at AHA-member hospitals in 43 states. How secure is your medical information in hospitals? Not very secure. Key survey results:
- 41.5% of hospitals have TEN OR MORE data breaches each year (that's up 120% over last year)
- Over 20% percent of hospitals have twenty or more breaches annually
- 56.3% of hospital compliance officers believe that the new health care reform law will either have no change or will increase medical identity theft
- 71.4% of hospitals on average investigate fewer than 50 cases each year of possible misuse of identity information
- 15.7% of hospitals feel they are in compliance with the HITECH Act, which went into effect in February 2010
- 48.3% of hospitals do not know if their vendors and business associates comply with the HITECH Act
As you read these statistics, remember that Identity Force provides identity theft protection for individuals, businesses and government agencies. Still, the statistics are poor.