"If you were enrolled in or billed for Discover Payment Protection, AccountGuard, Identity Theft Protection, Profile Protect, Wallet Protection, The Register and/or Credit Score Tracker between January 21, 2004 and November 9, 2011, this notice describes your rights in connection with a settlement of a lawsuit and your potential recovery."
The settlement combines class-action lawsuits in several states which claimed that Discover Financial Services used improper marketing, enrollment, and pricing practices:
- Walker v. Discover Financial Services et al (N.D. III Case No. 10-cv-06994-JWD)
- Callahan v. Discover Financial Services et al (N.D. III Case No. 1:10-cv-07181-JWD)
- Alexander v. Discover Financial Services et al (D.S.C. Case No. 7:10-cv-02754-HMH)
- Sack v. DFS Services LLC et al (W.D. Tenn. Case No. 2:10-cv-02906-JPM)
- Boyce v. DFS Services LLC (E.D. Pa. Case No. 2:11-cv-00265-LDD)
- Conroy v. Discover Financial Services et al (C.D. Cal. Case No. 2:10-cv-5260-MMM-E)
- Triplett v. Discover Financial Services, Inc. et al (S.D. Fla. Case No. 1:11-cv-20519-AJ)
- Carter v. Discover Financial Services, Inc. et al (E.D. Pa. Case No. 2:11-cv-01656-BMS)
Discover has agreed to set up a settlement $10.5 million fund. If you want to learn more, read the settlement offer details, file a claim, or exclude yourself from this settlement, visit the WalkerSettlement.com website, or contact the Settlement Administrator:
P.O. Box 8023
Faribault, MN 55021-9423
Phone: (866) 944-5034
Claims must be filed by June 6, 2012. Exclusion requests and settlement objections must be received by March 23, 2012.
In April 2008, I discussed in this blog my experiences with the Discover Identity Theft Protection service. In September 2011, Javelin Strategy & Research rated Discover's identity fraud resolution services highly in its Seventh Annual Card Issuer's Safety Scorecard. The study evaluated the top 23 card issuers according to three categories: identity fraud prevention, detection and resolution.
The press releases section at the Discover website did not mention the Walker Settlement.